500 - Internal server error

• Last Post 5 days ago
  • Topic Is Solved
blandyuk posted this 17 August 2017

Hi all,

I have the project source and it compiles / works perfectly in VS2017 using local MSSQL 2012 DB. I deploy the published code to my production server and edit web.config <connectionStrings> to point to the correct forum database.

OK, when I go to the site, all database tables are created no problem but, I get the below:

500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

?? Tried numerous ideas like changing IIS8 app pool settings and also checking EventLog -> Application for errors.

I absolutly cannot figure this out! Please help. I run numerous other legacy older ASP.NET websites and also another MVC app in dotNET 4.5.2 no problem so not sure. How can a debug it on the production server?

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
blandyuk posted this 17 August 2017

I have tested this on 2 servers now:

Win Server 2012 R2
Win Server 2008 R2

Both fail with the same message. The forum version I'm trying to use is v1.9.2.

blandyuk posted this 18 August 2017

OK, I've managed to resolve the issue here is what I found.

My IIS8 config has "verbs" set allow only listed ones which are:

GET
HEAD
After adding the below to the web.config (put in the correct places but you can see), I could see the issue:

<configuration>
    <system.webServer>
        <httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
        <asp scriptErrorSentToBrowser="true"/>
    </system.webServer>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        <compilation debug="true"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

Result was below:

Seems the <verbs allowUnlisted="false"> section conflicts with IIS. Simply commenting out this section resolved my issue.

I hope it helps anyone else if they had this issue

YodasMyDad posted this 5 days ago

Please can you raise a Github issue with this and put his post as a link in it and I'll add it to my next sprint.

Close