v2.0 Changes

• Topic Is Sticky
  • Last Post 11 March 2017
  • Topic Is Solved
YodasMyDad posted this 08 August 2016

I should have v1.9 out by the end of the week. The main focus was to remove the second level EF caching plugin, as it actually had a negative effect in certain situations.

I have added a new request cache and refactored a bit here and there, and that has been added into all services and has improved the general performance of the forum. I have also addressed a number of bugs/issues that have been reported over the past few months.

Moving forward...

v2.0 is going to have some big changes, and will move to using .NET Core. The forum is going to be completely rebuilt for this and be launched under a new name/brand, as there are a ton of things I want to change but it would cause too many people problems with the upgrade (Inc big DB structure changes).

So what I'm going to is run two repo's. Keeping this one up to date with bug fixes, but there won't be any new features added moving forward - Just bugs addressed.

Once I have the new forum developed, I will be adding in an importer so you can import from MVCforum into the new one. 

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
GreenBee posted this 08 August 2016

It is a good decision to switch to ASP.NET Core!

YodasMyDad posted this 08 August 2016

v1.9 now released.

https://github.com/YodasMyDad/mvcforum/releases/tag/1.9

miseeger posted this 08 August 2016

Are you also planning to use more client side JavaScript and build a WebAPI-Backend? A pretty good option for using client side JavaScript with an MVC-Library such as ASP.NET MVC and (e. g.) Laravel is vue.js I'm currently digging into it because Angular 1.x is too "complicated" and Angular 2.x is a full-fledged SPA-Framework which imho makes it very hard to use parts of it to support MVC-style applications.

Just my thoughts. Keep up the good work!!! I'm looking forward to 2.0!

And now I'm going to get my hands dirty with the update to 1.9 ...

• Liked by
  • GreenBee
YodasMyDad posted this 09 August 2016

I'm not sure. If I do it will be react or Angular 2 as those are well known and used Frameworks.

• Liked by
  • miseeger
1mikevdm posted this 13 August 2016

Will there be an easy migration (for the DBs) to 2.0?

Munzo posted this 17 August 2016

Sounds great - I have some ideas for v2.0 and am happy to contribute to the development and the upgrade scripting.

YodasMyDad posted this 18 August 2016

Fantastic. Will drop you a message when I'm starting Munzo

miseeger posted this 31 August 2016

I'm not sure. If I do it will be react or Angular 2 as those are well known and used Frameworks.

Not giving up, yet ... On my way digging into vue.js I found this small blogpost: "Vue.js, the real Angular 2.0" and imho, it's very interesting. It covers all the experiences I made until now. Vue.js integrates and works perfectly with server-rendered pages and is often used in conjunction with Laravel (a very popular PHP MVC Framework). And above all: Its learning-courve is that flat ... learning Angular (1) compared to this was like climbing the Matterhorn

Last but not least, here are seven reasons to try vue.js in 2016 ...

... and btw: I decieded to use vue.js for additions to the MVCForum (V 1.9.1) I'm currently customizing ...

Jack Weldon posted this 23 January 2017

Will authentication still be done via Forms or will you be looking to integrate with Asp.Net Identtity?

GreenBee posted this 16 February 2017

Is there any news about the new version? Or may be you need some help with it?

• Liked by
  • joshyates1980
YodasMyDad posted this 17 February 2017

Not yet. Have started messing around with a POC installer but that's as far as I have got for now.

kdmiller45 posted this 19 February 2017

I should have v1.9 out by the end of the week. The main focus was to remove the second level EF caching plugin, as it actually had a negative effect in certain situations.

I have added a new request cache and refactored a bit here and there, and that has been added into all services and has improved the general performance of the forum. I have also addressed a number of bugs/issues that have been reported over the past few months.

Moving forward...

v2.0 is going to have some big changes, and will move to using .NET Core. The forum is going to be completely rebuilt for this and be launched under a new name/brand, as there are a ton of things I want to change but it would cause too many people problems with the upgrade (Inc big DB structure changes).

So what I'm going to is run two repo's. Keeping this one up to date with bug fixes, but there won't be any new features added moving forward - Just bugs addressed.

Once I have the new forum developed, I will be adding in an importer so you can import from MVCforum into the new one. 

kdmiller45 posted this 19 February 2017

Will it be available through Microsoft's Web platform installer

joshyates1980 posted this 27 February 2017

Removing System.Web from MVCForum by migrating to .NET Core could be a challenge.  Although, building MVCForum from the ground up on .NET Core framework might not too bad.

Fixu Tily posted this 02 March 2017

Fantastic!

YodasMyDad posted this 02 March 2017

I have already started building it from the ground up on .NET Core. Once I have something worth showing you, I'll post it in here.

daveharney posted this 06 March 2017

Please test the Core version on shared hosting service that has a typical memory limit of something like 300mb.  I really liked the coding aspect of Core but the deployment was a nightmare and I had to rewrite my project in non-Core.  There are some work-arounds using pre-compile options in project.json - but it's a bit confusing - at least for me.  I'm hoping VS2017 will deal with some of these issues.

• Liked by
  • YodasMyDad
  • joshyates1980
oksteven posted this 07 March 2017

If you have alpha code in github (or somewhere else) with a road map; some people might be able to contribute. It's faster to build it with a community around the world. My recommendation on the new code base is building it for cross-platform deployment and flexible database options. Also, if possible, design the new code base with module approach so people can extend or customize it easily (without modifying the code base).

YodasMyDad posted this 07 March 2017

It's concept, a looong way from an alpha. It is cross platform, and the main thing I want it to be is modular. So people can make modules and plug them in to extend the source.

• Liked by
  • miseeger
  • AliRıza Adıyahşi
oksteven posted this 09 March 2017

I'm interested in joining this project, do you want to chat?

YodasMyDad posted this 09 March 2017

Yes, once I'm further forward. So far, after my initial investigations it looks like it will be based on the following:

• Framework: .NET Core
  • Membership: ASP.NET Identity
  • DB/ORM: EF 7
  • IOC: Autofac

miseeger posted this 09 March 2017

Sounds great, Lee. Autofac is a pretty good decision :-) ... No NPoco? Will we have cookie authentication, again or will it be possible to generate JWTs ? ... ;-)

YodasMyDad posted this 10 March 2017

I messed around with NPoco, but I really like the new migrations on EF7 and it's seems really good on performance.

It's all Cookie based at the moment, but there are posts/info on JWTs like so

https://goblincoding.com/2016/07/03/issuing-and-authenticating-jwt-tokens-in-asp-net-core-webapi-part-i/

But I don't know much about it and have no experience of using them. So I'm not sure if it will be of benefit over cookies.

miseeger posted this 10 March 2017

I didn't have a look at EF7 yet but hey, it's just another ORM ;-) JWTs come into play when you want to expose some Web API endpoints to deliver funcionality for a SPA and the like. And I found this one ...

It covers the combination of Cookie auth and JWT auth. As far as I could see when I was watching it in fast-forward-/skip-mode it looks pertty promising. Will watch closer and try to reconstruct it myself at the weekend when it's calm around ;-)

The code repository can be found here: https://bitbucket.org/Altair_CA/asp.net-core-testing/src/6be2abad141f554f37a6742f369131c99354f672?at=master The link in the video comment is kind of broken.

oksteven posted this 11 March 2017

A couple suggestions to consider is that there should be an abstract layer for database so that developers can volunteer implement it for their need (NoSQL, Redis, K/V storage, SQL etc). Also, the authentication and authorization components should be abstract too, that will allows developer write their own plug-in to integrate with their existing app.

YodasMyDad posted this 11 March 2017

I'm going to make it as modular/Pluggable as I can. As to monetise/support it I want to be able to create features/plugins that I can sell for a small amount as an addon. 

Running and supporting an OSS project is insanely time consuming, so I need to be able to pay the bills if I am going to put more time into support.

• Liked by
  • miseeger
Close